a year of getting back in touch.

act one: me
act two: you
act three: everything else

Saturday, January 14, 2012

What is the what?

When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be.
- पतञ्जलि (Patañjali)


The general idea of this project is to work on rebuilding, strengthening or creating new connections within many fundamental aspects of my life. These can be broken roughly into three parts: me, you and everything else. Solely for reasons of simplicity I have chosen a year as the time frame for this project, and thus each part is dedicated four months in the spotlight. Each month will be assigned a specific theme (for example, connections with the body) and within that theme I will assign myself specific tasks (for example, drink enough water) with the ultimate goal being that I will feel more connected to the theme at the end of the month.


Some specific tasks will seem simple or mundane (floss) and others grandiose or abstract (find what is sacred). Some months will have many boxes to check, others seemingly little to grade. 


I am reserving the right to change any aspect of this project at any time for any reason. I often make quite lofty challenges for myself and then fail to complete them out of fear of failure. If I find a task too demanding, I will ask myself why I am struggling and adapt accordingly, keeping in mind that it is not the end of this enterprise that is the most important, but what happens along the way. If I make any changes I may or may not make it known to the public, but my general goal is to write every day of my trials and tribulations. I believe that you, as well, are an active part of my reconnection.

I am not so good with sticking to dates, so each "month" of the project will start on the 15th of said month and continue on until the 14th of the next month. That way I get to mull things over for what seems like two months (who cannot say that February feels much different than January and September from August?) when really it is only one. For daily tasks it is assumed any given day begins upon waking, not necessarily at midnight. For weekly tasks, I am considering Sunday the first day of the week, thus the task should try to be completed by bedtime the following Saturday night.


And so, as of 9 o'clock on the eve of day one, here are the monthly themes for reconnect:


Act One: Me
Month One : January 15 - February 14
Connect with Body/Image

Month Two: February 15 - March 14
Connect with Mind/Intellect

Month Three: March 15 - April 14
Connect with Soul/Spirit

Month Four: April 15 - May 14
Connect with Serious

Act Two: You
Month Five: May 15 - June 14
Connect with Love

Month Six: June 15 - July 14
Connect with Family/Friends

Month Seven: July 15 - August 14
Connect with Community

Month Eight: August 15 - September 14
Connect with Play

Act Three: Everything Else
Month Nine: September 15 - October 14
Connect with Passions/Desires

Month Ten: October 15 - November 14
Connect with Earth/Nature

Month Eleven: November 15 - December 14
Connect with Life

Month Twelve: December 15 - January 14
Reflect and Connect


Details within each specific act and theme will be elaborated upon and discussed during the corresponding month.

No comments:

Post a Comment